Holme Valley Mutual Aid
Holme Valley Mutual Aid is a community network for the Holme Valley that is going to support us in the next 3 months at least. There is a website, a hotline, email accounts and 200+ volunteers.
If you need help: Support@holmevalleymutualaid.co.uk
If you can help: Volunteer@holmevalleymutualaid.co.uk
If you have information or a query: Info@holmevalleymutualaid.co.uk
emergency number 01484 212056
Holme Valley South Emergency Hardship Fund
The Welcome Centre
The Welcome Centre foodbank and more 15 Lord Street Huddersfield HD1 1QB 01484 515086
A referral is required to obtain assistance from The Welcome Centre. To obtain a referral you can contact:
- Kirklees Local Welfare Provision Team 01484 414782
- Any support service you are already involved with such as your GP, Housing Services, Lifeline, Connexions, Social Worker, CPN etc who can call The Welcome Centre direct on the referral line which is 01484 340034
- Go to The Mission Cafe at the Huddersfield Methodist Mission, 3-13 Lord Street, Huddersfield HD1 1QA. They have Advice Workers on site Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. (arrive by 1.30 p.m.) who offer advice, support and can refer you to The Welcome Centre and other specialist services.
The Welcome Centre is a small registered charity that provides practical, short-term support to help local people who are in crisis and who have been referred by a front-line service in Kirklees. It offers basic essentials such as food, toiletries, household items and bedding as well as a listening ear and information about where to get further help.
The Welcome Centre also provides opportunities and support for volunteers and try to help them to find meaningful employment.
Kirklees Citizens Advice and Law Centre
Kirklees Citizens Advice and Law Centre can provide advice on a number of issues including benefits, Universal Credit and housing. 0344 848 7970 Mon-Fri 0900 – 1630hrs
Uniform Exchange has FREE school uniform available for Kirklees residents. The majority of the items donated are second-hand and in good condition. There are also a number of items donated which are brand new.
Local Energy Advice Partnership LEAP
LEAP is working in close partnership with Local Authorities and Housing Associations across the country to offer eligible residents a completely FREE energy and money saving service. LEAP can help to save you money AND keep your home warm and cosy.
LEAP offers a free of charge in-home advice visit. LEAP’s Home Energy Advisors can:
- install free simple energy saving measures such as LED light bulbs and draught-proofing
- check if you’re on the best energy tariff via their dedicated energy switching service
- arrange a free money advice consultation
- help you find funding for further energy-saving home improvements.
The eligibility requirements of LEAP are designed to target households that either are already in, or are at risk of falling into fuel poverty. It is open to all types of householders – homeowners, private renters and social housing tenants.
You can apply now, for you or somebody else by clicking the Apply Now button or by phoning (FREE) 0800 060 7567.
Call centre opening hours:
8:45am – 7:00pm Monday to Friday
9:00am-12:00pm on Saturdays
Turn2us is a national charity helping people when times get tough. It has a benefits calculator, a grants search and information on what support is availablele.
The Streetbikes recycling initiative is currently unique to the area of Kirklees. It aims to address the issues of getting more people to use bikes as a mode of transport and for leisure at grassroots level.
Contact Streetbikes 01484 654530 for general enquiries and to apply for a recycled bike.
Other local foodbanks
Full Life Church Thongsbridge
updated 3 June 2020
Holme Valley Foodbank | Holmfirth